If you’re someone who grinds your teeth or clenches your jaw while sleeping, getting a night guard can protect your teeth from further dental problems. A plastic mold custom-fitted to your teeth, a night guard is comfortable and easy to wear. You probably won’t even notice it’s there, since you’re sleeping while wearing it! Keep reading to learn more about the benefits of a night mouth guard.
How a Night Guard in Salt Lake City Can Help You
A night mouth guard puts a separation between your top and bottom teeth, which will keep your teeth from grinding together at night. This eliminates many of the problems that can come with bruxism (what dentists call tooth grinding), including:
- Frequent headaches: If your teeth are clenched all night, it may cause chronic headaches, which can interfere with doing daily tasks.
- Cracking of teeth: Because teeth grinding puts pressure on the teeth throughout the night, it can cause them to crack or become brittle.
- Wearing down of tooth enamel: Teeth grinding also wears down enamel, a protective covering that prevents cavities and keeps your teeth shiny and bright.
- Receding gum line: Your gums protect the roots of your teeth, and a receding gum line can lead to many problems. Wearing a mouth guard can slow or prevent this process.
- Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ): One of the most common and serious problems that come with teeth grinding, TMJ affects your jaw muscles and can even lead to nerve and ligament damage.
Get a Night Mouth Guard in Salt Lake City
Though you can find cheap mouth guards over the counter, getting a custom-fit mouth guard from your dentist will ensure a comfortable fit that won’t interfere with your sleep. The dentist will be able to make adjustments if needed and can customize your mouth guard to help with other problems like sleep apnea. Contact South Temple Dental to learn more about our services, including everything you should know about getting a custom night mouth guard in Salt Lake City.